Translator/Interpreter (English, Russian, local languages)
General Call for Short-term Consultants
USAID has engaged SoCha as the sole contract holder of its Central Asia Regional Platform for Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (RP-MEL). Over the coming seven years, USAID/Central Asia will issue numerous task orders to contract SoCha to conduct independent evaluations, ad hoc assessments and analysis during program development and implementation, and support local capacity building and learning in the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) space. We are seeking to develop a pool of qualified local candidates in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan that we can engage for future task orders as necessary, to provide high-quality translation and interpretation services to international teams contracted to carry out MEL task orders. The general scope of work for each engagement is described below.
Illustrative Scope of Work:
To support the work of each task order, the Translator/Interpreter would be engaged for a short-term consultancy. Language support in all cases would be local language to/from English, Russian to/from English, and/or Russian to/from local language. Local languages include Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Turkmen, or Uzbek. Additional local languages may be required, depending on the assignment. Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide interpretation during in-person interviews
- Provide limited document translation support for selected meeting notes, questionnaires, schedule details, and other matters as needed.
- Provide English note-taking support during interviews and meetings.
- Advise team on local culture and context
- Provide ad hoc assistance as required to the field team.
- Though not always required, we place high value on translators/interpreters who are also experienced in and able to provide logistical support to the international team (e.g. scheduling meetings, arranging travel details).
Minimum qualifications and experience:
- Advanced proficiency in English and Russian languages. Native speaker of local language
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4+ years proven experience providing language interpretation and translation between English, Russian, and local language for international teams in the field of international development, health, economic growth, or other relevant sectors.
- Strong organizational skills with a keen attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong familiarity with the local context in home country
- Problem-solving aptitude and adaptability to changing circumstances.
- Strong plus: Experience working on assignments for USAID or other international donors
- Strong plus: 3+ years providing logistical support, event coordination, or similar roles, preferably in an international development context.
Future consultancies to take place in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
Typical consultancies will range from 7-25 days.
How to apply:
To submit your application, kindly provide your CV using the form provided below.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position is open for immediate commencement.
Position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been identified.