Technology Officer – GIS & Data Analyst
SoCha LLC provides independent, verifiable primary data to USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA) and its partners regarding the outputs, outcomes, progress, quality, challenges, successes and lessons learned from activities funded by BHA in Myanmar.
The project has the following objectives:
- Establish a process to collect, synthesize, and analyze various data concerning BHA-funded programs.
- Enhance BHA’s knowledge and oversight of ongoing programs through sharing of impartial, primary data.
- Support BHA’s implementing partners’ monitoring and oversight of ongoing programs via coordination and sharing of impartial, primary data.
- Expand BHA’s understanding of ongoing challenges and potential changes to Myanmar’s context with additional data and analysis.
SoCha is seeking a full-time, qualified individual to fill the role of Tech Officer – Data and GIS Analyst. The position will be based in Yangon.
*** Experienced Burmese citizen and resident GIS specialists are encouraged to apply ***
Scope of Work:
The Technology Officer reports to the DCOP and manages project databases and the integration of GIS data collection across the project.
Illustrative Functions of the Position
- Develop and expand strategic research and data partnerships.
- Ensures data security measures and database management.
- Produce cartographic products using data from TPM activities, and special studies and assessments.
- Obtain necessary documents and information for tool development, planning, and logistics to execute site visits, including data management for TPM activities, utilizing qualitative and quantitative data collection methods.
- Leverages partners’ GIS capacity to develop activity maps and other GIS and data products on request.
- Produce recurrent activity location maps at both national and subnational levels and develop an annual guidance document specifying the requirements of the maps and visualizations.
- Design and implement assigned GIS projects supporting the generation of customized maps and geographic analysis reports and provide on-demand visualization and geographic analyses.
- Support tool development and data management for Third Party Monitoring (TPM) activities, utilizing mobile data collection.
- Maintain a well-structured geographic information systems database. The database will extend beyond Implementing Partner data to include other relevant data layers, data/roadmaps, demographics, transportation, and other relevant contextual datasets.
- Produce cartographic products using data from third party monitoring (TPM) activities, program evaluations, and special studies and assessments.
- Work with TPM staff to collect and clean monitoring and geo-location data.
- Provide GIS and knowledge management training to BHA and its implementing partners. The training sessions will increase capacities to capture and present relevant geographic data, conduct analysis, and collaborate on making better use of spatial data.
- Other duties as required to meet the GIS and data analyst needs of the project.
Minimum qualifications and experience:
- An advanced degree in Statistics, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, or a related field.
- 5+ Years of relevant experience at the national level and international affairs in international development.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection.
- A minimum of 3 years of conducting analysis of geospatial data.
- Experience in the design, monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Experience in the use of computers and software packages, handling management systems.
- Experience working with ArcGIS, QGIS, and Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to use, manipulate, and refine spatial and other types of data from a wide array of sources, including experience compiling metadata.
- Strong skills in HTML, CSS, MySQL, XHTML.
- Solid knowledge and experience with data management and data collection across sources (manual and through API).
- Creation of clean, logical, well-documented and re-usable code.
- Experience with development and use of maps, charts and tables for the display of data.
- Knowledge and experience of web accessibility.
- Good understanding of cross-platform and cross-browser issues.
- Experience working with USAID is preferred.
- Experience working with satellite imagery, geospatial policy, GIS editing, cartography or urban geography experience preferred.
How to apply:
To submit your application, kindly provide your CV using the form provided below.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position is open for immediate commencement.
Position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been identified.
"*" indicates required fields