Team Leader for Landscape Study on Technical and
Vocational Skills Training for Women and Youth in the
Democratic Republic of Congo
|Home-based with travel to Kinshasa, DRC|
Number of days:
|Up to 3 months|
|November 1, 2023 – January 31, 2024|
SoCha, LLC is the implementing partner of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission Strategic Support Program (MSSP) in the Democratic Republic of Congo (USAID/DRC). The objective of the MSSP is to provide technical and advisory services for monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) across the Mission’s portfolio of activities in the DRC and the Central African region.
MSSP supports the mission by providing strategic data analysis, activity monitoring, evaluation and verification and facilitating organizational learning and collaboration among USAID implementing partners. The MSSP also works to strengthen the capacity of the mission and its implementing partners to use MEL to inform program design and achieve better activity outcomes.
Objective of the Consultancy:
MSSP is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Team Leader to lead/oversee a landscape study on technical and vocational skills training for women and youth in the DRC. The study aims to assess the landscape of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) providers, focusing on the accessibility, availability, diversity, quality, inclusivity, and financial aspects of these programs.
1. Project Planning and Coordination:
- Develop a detailed project plan including timelines, milestones, and deliverables.
- Coordinate all aspects of the study, ensuring that it aligns with the project’s objectives.
- Provide leadership to a multidisciplinary research team.
2. Research Design and Methodology:
- Develop research questions based on the project’s objectives.
- Lead the development of a comprehensive research methodology, ensuring it encompasses both qualitative and quantitative approaches.
- Oversee the selection of appropriate research methods and tools.
3. Data Collection and Analysis:
- Supervise the collection of data which includes surveys, interviews, focus groups, and observations.
- Ensure the data collection process is systematic and rigorous.
- Lead the analysis of data using statistical and qualitative analysis techniques to identify patterns and trends.
4. Stakeholder Engagement:
- Facilitate engagement with key stakeholders including government agencies, NGOs, TVET providers, and beneficiaries.
- Organize an assessment validation workshop to obtain input and consensus on findings and recommendations.
5. Report Development and Recommendations:
- Prepare an inception report outlining the project approach, research questions, and methodology.
- Lead the development of the draft and final reports including executive summaries, findings, recommendations, and conclusions.
- Ensure that recommendations are practical and actionable based on research findings and stakeholder input.
6. Deliverables Management:
- Supervise the production of key deliverables including the inception report, draft report, final report, and data sets.
- Oversee the presentation of findings and dissemination workshop for stakeholders.
7. Team Management:
- Lead, mentor, and provide guidance to the research team members.
- Ensure that the team operates efficiently and effectively.
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in a relevant field (e.g., Social Sciences, Development Studies, Education).
- 10+ years of proven experience in leading research projects, especially in the field of education and skills training.
- Strong research design and methodological skills, with proficiency in both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Experience in engaging with diverse stakeholders including government officials, NGOs, and beneficiaries.
- Excellent analytical and report-writing skills.
- Strong leadership and project management skills.
- Cultural sensitivity and experience working in the DRC or similar contexts.
- Fluency in English and French (spoken and written).
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application which should contain:
- Cover letter (1 page) explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for this assignment.
- Updated CV to include qualifications/competencies and three professional references.
- A copy of an evaluation/research report in the field of education in which you have participated as a lead.
MSSP is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals of all backgrounds and experiences.