Geographical Information System(GIS) Specialist (DRC)
SoCha (a portmanteau of Social and Change) is an independent Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (ME&L) firm that provides bespoke solutions to social challenges. We are a veteran-owned small business, registered in the United States, and headquartered in Mauritius. SoCha is structured to be nimble and flexible, where we can rapidly respond to evaluative and analytical requests globally and have a well-established network across Africa and Asia. Since our inception in 2010, we have grown from a consortium of globally recognized experts who specialize in evaluating the effectiveness of development assistance, to a full-fledged ME&L services firm that specializes in advancing innovative methodologies and changing the way donors find solutions to social problems.
SoCha, LLC is preparing a response to USAID/Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) EVAL ME II – Mission Strategic Support Program (MSSP) Activity. We seek qualified GIS Specialist candidates to provide these services across DRC.
Scope of Work
Illustrative Functions of the Position
The selected candidate will:
- Design and implement assigned GIS projects supporting the generation of customized maps and geographic analysis reports
- Maintain and update geographic data in the Missions Geographic Information System (GIS);
- Support tool development and data management for Third Party Monitoring (TPM) activities, utilizing mobile data collection
- Construct data visualizations to align with end-user requirements
- Produce cartographic products using data from TPM activities, program evaluations, and special studies and assessments
- Work with TPM staff to collect and clean monitoring and geo-location data
- Provide geospatial services for USAID to support program management, analysis, planning, and advocacy.
- Collaborate with USAID staff to develop innovative geospatial products that enhance social media posts, stories, and other creative communications content.
- Collaborate closely with concerned parties to share information.
- Read and interpret technical documents
- Train or instruct end users in the use of GIS computer equipment and software
- Maintain GIS computer systems and databases
- Perform map reproduction activities according to established techniques
- Other duties as required to meet the GIS needs of the project
Minimum qualifications and experience
- An advanced degree in Statistics, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection
- A minimum of 3 years of conducting analysis of geospatial data
- Demonstrated experience in cartographic production and a strong portfolio that reflects the ability to process complex datasets and create detailed, engaging cartographic products.
- Experience working with USAID is preferred.
- Experience working with ArcGIS, QGIS, and Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Proven ability to use, manipulate, and refine spatial and other types of data from a wide array of sources, including experience compiling metadata.
- Experience working with satellite imagery.
- Experience communicating geospatial policy.
- Experience GIS editing, cartography or urban geography experience preferred.
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
How to apply:
To lodge an application, please lodge CV via the form below.
Applications close on 2 March 2021 application review will be on a rolling basis